Sunday Night Musings

July 28, 2013 at 9:22 pm | Posted in Emergency Room Visit, Hospital, Husband, Musings | Leave a comment

It’s been a long weekend.  Hubby went to the family doc again on Friday and she said he did NOT have pneumonia.

I ended up taking my beloved to the ER on Friday night.  We were there for TWO HOURS before we were able to get to the back, and then we waited ONE HOUR to see the doctor.

Then it was one mistake after another.  Hubby has rotten veins and they have to use an ultrasound to get a good IV in.  Well, guess what?  The first one, the nurse put in on the bend of his right arm and it FELL OUT.

So, the second nurse came in to put another one in.  Apparently this is the nurse who is in charge of the program of training other nurses to do these specialized IVs.  He put the IV in near hubby’s wrist.  Then he left and the ER nurse was able to give him another dose of pain meds.

Within about 10 minutes, hubby noticed that the IV was starting to hurt.  His wrist was starting to SWELL.

He called the ER nurse and she had to take it out.  So much for the pain meds.

The doctor had supposedly spoken to another one of hubby’s docs and they decided which tests to do – but then the hospital computers went down – and everything came to a complete HALT.

By then it was after 11:00 and I went in search of the doctor to find out what was going on.  He FINALLY came in to talk to us at nearly midnight with no idea when the testing could start, on account of the computer problem, the fact that there was no IV in my husband’s arm….

It was then that hubby said, “I want to get out of here!”

I tried to convince him to hang on but he was very upset at being poked and prodded TWICE for IVs that fell out.  He was exhausted and grumpy and so was I.  Finally, he asked the doc for a prescription of pain meds to get him through the weekend and we drove home.  In the FOG.

It was so foggy I could barely see at times.  By the time we got home – we live an HOUR away from the hospital – I was shaking and near tears.  My mom was there; we had called her to come spend the night with Daniel.  She was sleeping in his room while Daniel was sleeping in our room.  Hubby climbed in bed with the teen and I crawled into Daniel’s room to sleep on the mattress on the floor.


By then it was nearly 2:00 a.m.

The next morning I went to the pharmacy to fill the pain med script.  Guess what?  The ER doc wrote it WRONG.  And since it’s a narcotic, it couldn’t be corrected by fax or phone call.  I called our family doc – who was on call – to see if she could meet me at her office to write a new script but she was in OKLAHOMA.

Oh.  My.  Gosh.

So, I called the ER we had been in the night before to see what we could do….I knew that hubby wouldn’t want to go back and going to the ER here in our small town would be more of a nightmare than the one Friday night…..

Well, God smiled on me, because there was an incredible guy in the ER named Tom that worked a MIRACLE for us.  He worked it out and found out that there was an ambulance transporting a patient and once the EMTs were finished with their job, taking care of the patient, they’d be going to the ambulance station and Tom would have an ER doc fill out a CORRECT script and give it to the EMTs and they’d give it to me once we met at the station.

And that’s exactly what we did.  Tom called me once the EMTs called him to say that they were in route to their station, so I tore out the door and met them there.  After checking my ID and asking me what I needed and who it was for, they gave me the script.  Then I raced to the pharmacy – it was closing in half an hour – and got hubby his pain meds.

Oh.  My.  Gosh.

I should have gotten Tom’s last name so I could present him with a gold medal or something.

Tomorrow we go back to the hospital for SCHEDULED scans and a doctor visit.  God willing, the doctor will find out what is wrong.  He’s in serious pain, very uncomfortable, unable to eat – he’s barely eaten in over a week.  We’re continually offering him water or soda water or milk or Diet Pepsi to drink so he doesn’t get dehydrated.  Poor guy, he’s got both me and his son picking on him about drinking.

I just want him feeling better.


Leave a Comment »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

I love reading your comments! Please leave me your thoughts.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: